Workshop: Building a career you love
This webpage is here to provide resources for those who attended the workshop presented at London Dreamcatcher's Day on 9 March 2014.
The following quote is a reminder not to believe everything you read on the Internet:
I am sick and tired of being misquoted on the Internet - Napoleon Bonaparte.
- RSA Animate- Drive
- The surprising truth about what motivates us.
- SWOT analysis
- Method and examples, with free SWOT templates
- Business Model You
- A one-page method for re-inventing (or inventing) your career.
- a new and better way to find work that's right for you, manage your own development and improve your opportunities.
- Theory of Change
- Download the Theory of Change tool to define your goals and how to achieve them. There are many more tools at DIY Toolkit.
- 80,000 Hours
- How to use the 80,000 hours in your career to solve the world's most pressing problems.
- Their free coaching and research helps you find the careers and causes where you can make the most difference.
- TEDxOxbridge - Marc Ventresca - Don’t be an Entrepreneur, Build Systems
- For maximum impact you may have to build systems.
- Want to help someone? Shut up and listen! TED talk by Ernesto Sirolli.
- This funny and impassioned talk is a cautionary tale for well-intentioned but naïve aid workers and social entrepreneurs.
Time management and working smarter
In the olden days, a great piece of advice was to aim to handle each piece of paper only once. The modern day equivalent is to aim to only read each message once: so don't read your emails at a time when you won't be able to respond to any of them.
- Winning without losing by Martin Bjergegaard and Jordan Milne.
- Intended for startups, but also contains a lot of general advice on how to work smarter and more effectively. You can buy it here. Highly recommended.
- The Email Charter
- We can all save each other time by following The Email Charter.
- Daily Do Its!
- Join the mailing list for daily tips from Bev James. Today's is a classic:
- Dream big. Start small and then connect the dots. - Dan Millman
Starting a business
- Business Model Generation by Alex Osterwalder and Yves Pigneur.
- Introducing the Business Model Canvas, a great tool for rapidly developing novel business models.
- Download a template and try it for yourself.
- You can also download a template from here.
- The Lean Startup by Eric Ries.
- The movement that is transforming how new products are built and launched.
- Getting to Plan B by John Mullins and Randy Komisar.
- Moving from your current plan to a plan that works!
- The New Business Road Test by John Mullins.
- What entrepreneurs and executives should do before writing a business plan. The definitive work on assessing entrepreneurial opportunities.
- Winning without losing by Martin Bjergegaard and Jordan Milne.
- An international bestseller explaining how to run a startup and have a life. It contains a lot of advice on how to work smarter and more effectively. You can buy it here. Highly recommended.
- Dream, Design, Surf by Marcelo Bravo.
- Introducing a practical “design” approach to creating new ventures, this book shows you how to move rapidly and with lower risk from idea to high impact global business.
- Self Belief: The Vision by Jamal Edwards.
- How Jamal beat the system and made it big in business in his own way.
Events and Networking Opportunities
There are many events where you can meet other entrepreneurs and build up your network:
- SE Junction London
- Join social entrepreneurs to swap stories and hatch plans in a convivial atmosphere. We meet every Tuesday evening at Fairly Square, London's first fairtrade bar and café.
- 6W2X Events
- Join the mailing list to be kept informed about 6W2X Events:
- Dreamstake is a great platform for meeting people creating and supporting startups. You may find it a good place for finding team members, advisors or people requiring your services. It is free to join and all events and workshops are offered free of charge to members.
- See the Dreamstake FAQ for how to import your LinkedIn profile, which makes joining very easy.
- GlobalNet21 is the leading forum in the UK for discussing the major issues in the 21st Century. Many of the events take place at the House of Commons and the House of Lords.
- Google Campus
- A unique co-working space in the heart of East London's Tech City. Sign-up for free online and collect your pass at the campus. Check the diary for a full programme of events.
- Enterprise Connect at KCL
- Run by the King's Commercialisation Institute at KCL: a superb series of events with high profile speakers and great networking.
- Head down to the next event which features Doug Richard, serial entrepreneurs and founder School for Start Ups, Nick Jenkins, founder of Moonpig.com and Jasmine Birtles, the charismatic finance journalist and TV presenter who will all be sharing their fantastic knowledge on implementing the best communication strategy for your business venture. Register!
- RSA Events
- World-changing talks, debates, film screenings, podcasts, videos, and animations - all made available for free, for everyone.
- RI (Royal Institution)
- The Royal Institution: Science lives here.
- In the spirit of "ideas worth spreading", TED has created a programme called TEDx. The TEDx Houses of Parliament is one of the very best of such TEDx events. Pre-register now to get early access to tickets THIS FRIDAY, 14 March 2014.
Gaining real-world experience
Without experience it is hard to get a job, but without a job how do you get experience? Here are a few suggestions:
- 6W2X Team Challenges
- If a startup the first project you have ever done, then that is quite a tough one to begin with. Accordingly, 6W2X will be organising a series of team challenges that will give you valuable experience and help to build your changemaking skills. We are about to launch some challenges in the fields of music and fashion, so get in touch if you would like to be involved.
- Skills Hive
- Create a shop window for your skills that presents you as an individual with a personality and a unique style of working.
- Sign up to the Skills Hive mailing list to be informed about the free collaborative workspace days at the University of Greenwich Business School: great for networking.
- Connecting you and your shot.
- If you want to help a Social Entrepreneur you're a SenseMaker. Check out the video on the home page. Also like them on Facebook.
- MKS Room + Bepartofit
- UK's first peer2peer inclusion and social entrepreneurship project Bepartofit in collaboration with MKS Room - connecting people, music, live radio and talk show - invite to their event on the 21st March!
- From uni to work. Their mission is to create an effective peer to peer student support structure which creates professional opportunities for their members and to meet the needs of local, national and international stakeholder network while creating sustainable projects, programs and business.
- Entrepreneur First
- Internships with Entrepreneur First.